It won’t be long until summer is in the past, which means it’s time to do some damage control and treat your commercial roofing system with some much-needed TLC. Frederic Roofing is prepared to help prevent wear and tear buildup, but there’s plenty you can do on your own before the professionals step in.
Winter Is Coming—Is Your Roof Ready?
Ever tried fixing your roof in the dead of winter? It’s much easier to make adjustments when the weather is mild and snow isn’t mounting up on your roof. The best maintenance is preventative maintenance because it gives you enough time to identify issues with your roof before the changing seasons make their presence known. The important part is being diligent about your preparation. Leave no stone (or shingle) unturned so you can confidently say your roof is ready to take on whatever comes its way. We’ve outlined the most important steps home and business owners can take to ensure their roof is in the best shape possible when winter comes.
Residential/Commercial Roof Maintenance Checklist
- Clear off debris: Leaves might not weigh a ton, but that doesn’t mean they don’t add pressure on your roof. As the trees start shedding, a collection of leaves can add up quickly. If there isn’t a storm coming, take some time to remove debris from the surface of your roof. Small pieces of dirt, pine needles, and leaves can contain moisture, rot, or mold that can break down the material and cause roof leaks.
- Check for early signs of deterioration: Weather doesn’t have to be as catastrophic as a tornado to make an impact on your roof structure. Even small rainstorms or gusts of wind can cause significant deterioration over time. Adhering to a consistent preventative maintenance schedule is the best way to make sure you’re not neglecting any early signs of problems to come. Hold yourself accountable so you can spot an issue before it’s too late.
- Clean the gutters: Initially, it might seem negligible, but the slow buildup of leaves and debris in your gutters can pose a series of issues if you’re not taking the time to remove them. Rainwater can cause gutters to overflow, which poses risk for severe damage to your roof, membrane, trim, and siding. A thorough cleaning of your gutters can prevent problems and keep maintenance costs at a lower, more manageable level. Replacing or restructuring an entire gutter can be a costly fix for any building owner.
- Inspect the inside of your building: It’s easy to overlook issues in your attic, but truthfully, it’s a hotbed for roofing issues to manifest themselves. If there is light shining through the attic anywhere where your roof should be, it’s imperative that it’s fixed as soon as possible.
- Examine specific shingles: Your roof might still look great from afar, but inspecting the shingles individually (as arduous as it sounds) is crucial to ensure the quality of your entire roof. A cohesive, unified roof won’t have any faltering areas that are prone to leaks or damages, but over time their condition can be compromised. Make sure you’re staying in front of the issue before the seasons change because this can easily fend off future problems.
Call the Experts at Frederic Roofing to Whip Your Roof Into Shape
At Frederic Roofing, we pride ourselves on being more than just an ordinary roofing company. Our team is the gold standard in every aspect of commercial and residential roofing support. We work tirelessly to help you get the best results from your unique setup. When we’re by your side, expect a team of experts to do whatever it takes so you can avoid expensive repairs and replacements. And since summer is coming to a close, it’s the perfect time to prepare for the upcoming temperature changes.